Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Yogurt Cheese

Making Yogurt Cheese is super easy! According to Tosca Reno (one of my heros), it is one of the most versatile foods you can have in your kitchen; I totally agree. It can be used as a replacement for cream cheese, sour cream, as a base for frostings and so much more. Basically, when you drain yogurt, whether regular or Greek, you strain away some whey liquid. What you have left is a thick creamy yogurt that resembles cream cheese. High protein and super lean; what more can you ask for?


You will need: a colander and a bowl, cheese cloth and plain nonfat or lowfat yogurt. I always have the Greek yogurt I get at Costco, so that is what I use.



Place cheese cloth over colander; add yogurt!



I like to tie the cheese cloth with some kitchen twine.


Let sit overnight (or longer) in the refrigerator.

Once desired consistency is reached, transfer yogurt cheese to bowl. As you can see, I like to season mine up a bit; some lemon thyme, sea salt, fresh ground pepper and a drizzle of EVOO.




I love it in place of cream cheese! Wasa crackers, yogurt cheese, tomatoes and smoked salmon=super yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment