Sunday, July 1, 2012

Super Satisfying Wheatberry Burgers

I must say these little veggie burgers turned out quite nicely. Even the hubby was loving them! He said (in his own words), " tasty and satisfying"!! I am somewhat surprised since he has never used those words to describe a meatless meal. They must be good right?

So, as I was carving out some space in my freezer for the bags filled with the cut watermelon (for my signature cocktail) for the upcoming July 4th cook-out, I ran into some par-cooked wheatberries that were screaming to be used. I immediately wondered if I could make them a star ingredient in veggie burgers for the non-meat eaters (mostly just Tracey) at the event.And so my journey to make them is as follows:

Wheatberry Burgers

1 ½ cups uncooked red wheat berries or farro (3 ½ cups cooked)
3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
1 diced red bell pepper or other diced veggies, such as onion, zucchini and/or carrots
1/3 cup chopped fresh mixed herbs such as basil, rosemary, thyme, cilantro or parsley
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. pepper
½ tsp. smoked paprika
1/8 tsp. turmeric
3 eggs
1/3 cup corn meal for coating

When Chis heard these little guys frying up and asked, "are the furgers ready", as in faux burgers. He is just so darn clever!
1. Cook wheatberries in water for about 1 ½- 2 hours or until tender. Some varieties are pearled or polished and require less cooking time. Varieties such a hard winter berries require soaking overnight. I like to cook them like pasta; lots of salted water and then drain once tender. And seriouly, you do need to salt the water (unless your blood pressure is over 130/90).
2. Heat olive oil in a skillet and cook peppers for 5-8 minutes until tender. Remove from heat and stir in fresh herbs. Some shredded carrots would also be fun. Zucchini too (unless your hubby/boyfriend/roomate likes it only in chocolate cake).

3. Place wheat berries, ½ pepper mixture and seasonings /spices in a food processor; pulse until finely ground. Add eggs and pulse until well combined. You can use the flaxseed/water combo for the binder if you are vegan. Use 1/4 cup flaxeed meal mixed with 1/2 cup water; let it sit until it thickens and add into mixture.
Transfer mixture to bowl and mix in remaining peppers. Here, you can more fresh herbs, a handful of chopped green onion, peas, sunflower seeds, chopped walnuts....all kinds of goodies.

3. Use a ½ cup measure or scoop to shape 9 patties. Let rest in refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.

Coat with corn meal before cooking. This makes them super crispy (thats what Chris said).

4. Heat a skillet with remaining olive oil and cook patties, in batches, 4 minutes on each side. Add a sliced of cheese (or crumbles) if you are a cheese-addict (like I am) and heat until melty.
5. Dress them up in whole wheat buns with Heinz ketchup (it must be Heinz!), mustard and mayo; garden lettuce and Giant Eagle sliced tomatoes. For a lighter, less carby meal, have these little burgers naked over freshly tossed salad greens.

2 comments:

  1. I made these for dinner tonight. They were awesome! They seemed a little crumbly before I cooked them, but they got nice and solid in the pan. And my very picky best friend liked them too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad they worked out! They were a bit crumbly; I think next time I will cook the wheat berries so they are a little mushy. Thank you for sharing our picture with me last night!

    ReplyDelete