Sunday, May 13, 2012

Turkey Burgers with Sage and Cherries

These little turkey burgers have become a family favorite! Chris and I call the "turgers" for short. The original idea for these came from the Harris Grill menu (I admit). I worked there for about 2 years during undergrad (not too long ago ha ha) as a prep chef. I of course, use a lean, all white meat ground turkey (as opposed to stuff that came in a frozen tube). They use sweetened dried cranberries, white panko bread crumbs and dried ground sage in their version; I use dried cherries, oatmeal and fresh sage!

I started to use a food processor to finely chop these ingredients because my hubby Chris did not love the chunks of oatmeal and onion. Step 1 : add 1/2 quartered onion, 1/2 cup oatmeal, 2-3 garlic cloves, about 1/4 cup fresh sage leaves and salt& pepper to processor. Pulse until finely chopped. The fresh sage is from my neighbor Tracey's garden, where it grows abundantly. I do have my own garden...I really do.

Here it is all finely chopped!

Step 2: Combine about 1 lb. of extra lean ground turkey, with 1/3 cup dried cherries (or cranberries), 1 egg and oatmeal-sage mixture. Mix well!
Step 3: Shape into 6-8 patties.
Step 4: Grill for 4-5 minutes on each side. Don't forget to check the internal temp. It should be 165F.

I also make a rosemary spread for these little turgers. I just mix finely chopped fresh rosemary with a little light mayo, some Greek yogurt, Dijon mustard and a drop or two of light soy sauce. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment