Sunday, December 29, 2013

Cookies and Cornbread

The upcoming new year means different things to people. To me, it means a chance to renew, refresh and revitalize! And I know just how to achieve that! Organize, clean, and cook more! Yup, losing more weight is on the list too. Working on it!

So I organized our basement freezer and found out we had lots to work with-enough food for maybe a month or two. I am a bit of a food hoarder, I confess, and the freezer clearly demonstrates this. 

On my journey to cook more, and use up our freezer reserves, I whipped up some cookies and cornbread! My mission was to use up some of the 2 bags of the masa harina ( for making tamales) and oat bran that has lingered in the freezer for a long, long time.

Rather than reinvent the wheel, I asked my good friend (Google) for some suggestions, and here is what I found:

A corn bread recipe using masa harina instead of cornmeal!!
http://wholelifestylenutrition.com/recipes/a-healthier-organic-corn-bread-recipe-made-with-masa-harina/

Here are the ingredients, but click on the link for the directions. I think the butter really makes the difference. Cornbread and cookie recipes must have butter (or do they?)!!

A Healthier Organic Corn Bread Recipe (I don't think it should be called organic, as none of the ingredients called for are organic!...just sayin!)


1 1/2 cup masa harina flour
1/2 cup spelt flour, or other flour of choice, (with the exception of coconut flour, it won't work in this recipe) ....I used white whole wheat
2 eggs
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp unrefined sea salt...I used kosher salt
1/4 cup raw honey ...I used maple syrup
1 tbsp sucanat ...or regular sugar
1 1/4 cup whole milk or coconut milk ...I used skim milk
1/4 cup grass fed butter, softened....my butter did not come from grass fed cows :(



This is how I served it up!! with pulled pork tenderloin, shredded cheese and a tiny dollop of real sour cream!

 
Now, earlier I said that cookie recipes must always have butter! But it just so happens that this recipe uses oil!! I always heard that oil should never be used in cookies. But it really works, and it yields a different type of cookie; a thinner cookie, with a more crisp texture. And speaking of cookies, here is the recipe that helped me use up some of my copious amounts of oat bran:

http://www.madebymichellec.com/?p=3794

Dark Chocolate Chip Oat Bran Cookies (adapted from cdkitchen)

3/4 cup canola oil..I used avocado oil
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup rolled oats
1 1/2 cup oat bran
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup dark or bittersweet chocolate chips...I only had mini chocolate chips to work with

- See more at: http://www.madebymichellec.com/?p=3794#sthash.eSeVwCYE.dpuf



I really like making other bloggers recipes! the recipes are already tested, so less chance of a mess for me!





 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment