Sunday, December 8, 2013

Peanut Butter and Jelly Swirled Protein Bread


If you are reading this post now, or have ever read any of my posts, you are probably thinking, “oh there she is!”, or “she finally got a break from the baby!”….yup, it’s been over two months..and yes, I do get a few breaks from our little critter, not too many though.

Here is an update:

1. Wyatt will be 5 months next week!!
He loves naps! and yes, he is a bit out of season!

2. I am back to work full time with some sort of workout routine (as if we expected anything other than that)

3. I am down 25 lbs. since Wyatt arrived (yep, that includes the baby; it makes me sound like a champ if I include the actual baby weight). 15 lbs to go!!

4. Herbie is being a great big brother!

5. I made baby food today for the first time using my Vitamix blender!! Finally, my mom-in-law’s investment is paying off! And I made the recipe below, in my Vitamix too!

So here I am, taking advantage of nap time, and whipping up something fun for the week. I used a recipe from the kids section of my Vitamix cookbook, as a base and added some key ingredients! Here is it, no pictures of each step this time…who has time for that!?

Peanut Butter and Jelly Swirled Protein Bread


1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 cup vanilla protein powder (yep, totally my idea to replace ½ the flour with this…surprised?)
1 tsp. kosher salt (love kosher salt)
1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. baking powder
1 ½ cups milk-I used vanilla soy milk
1 egg ( added this for fluffiness)
½ cup sugar
2/3 cup natural peanut butter (increased this from ½ cup for more flavor)
½ cup your favorite jam or jelly  (why not swirl in some jammy goodness)

 Preheat oven to 350F.Combine flour, protein powder, salt and baking powder in a large bowl. Place milk, egg, sugar and peanut butter in a blender; process until smooth. Stir into flour mixture, until smooth. ( I actually added the flour mixture right into my blender, but this probably won’t work with a regular blender). Coat a standard loaf pan (or a larger one works too) with cooking spray. Pour1/2 of batter into pan and add dollops of jam over surface. Use a knife to swirl jam into batter. Repeat process again.

Place on a baking sheet (in case of spillage) and bake for about 50 minutes, until golden brown. Cool completely and cut into 14 slices.

Nutrition per 1/14th recipe: 210 calories, 8g total fat, 1.5g Sat Fat, 370mg Sodium, 26g Carbs, 2g Fiber, 15g Sugar, 11g Protein, Vitamin A 2%DV, Calcium 15%, Iron 6%





 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment