Sunday, January 19, 2014

Slow Cooker Breakfast Power Porridge





I am really working on making a little time for all the things I like to do, such as blogging, but especially cooking, yoga and trips to the gym (steam room!). Managing a career, family/house and extracurricular activities is tough, but I know it can be done!!


 I am also working on making sure I keep a food journal. I think it’s the one thing (totally under appreciated) that can really help with weight loss, and mine has totally slowed down (I admit…maybe even stopped... for 2 months!!). I would still like to lose another 12 lbs or so. On the days I log my food, I do really well; on the days I don’t, I slack off and end up taking in what I call maintenance calories (1600-1800). And, I know I can’t lose weight unless I keep it tight/strict (after all, I am a registered dietitian)!! I should probably report in each week, to keep me accountable. Mmm...

It all starts with breakfast right? Although, I really shoot for get around 30 grams of protein at each meal. This cereal is pretty “carby”, so I end up having a smaller portion and stirring in some protein powder and almond milk. The hubby loves it too, and that really matters! Here is my story about it:

I’ve been making this cereal for a couple weeks now, and have been trying to come up with the best way. I don’t like mushy apples in my cereal, so adding the apples in at the end is best. I also figured out that leaving them in the slow cooker overnight makes the grains too gummy and it tends to burn a bit on the edges. I think it’s pretty easy to get on while you are home on a Sunday, doing your other food prep for the week. Because we all do that right?

Slow Cooker Breakfast Power Porridge

½ cup quinoa
½ cup brown rice
½ cup oatmeal
¼ tsp.sea salt
½ tsp. cinnamon
½ cup dried cherries or cranberries
4 cups water
¼ cup (or equivalent )no calorie sweetener such as Stevia
1 chopped apple
Optional Toppings: chia or flaxseeds, chopped walnuts, goji berries, almonds milk or protein powder

Rinse quinoa and rice in a colander. Place in slow cooker, along with oatmeal, salt, cinnamon, cherries, water and sweetener. Set on low and cook for 3 hours. Spread apples over top and ook for another hour. Serve topped with fun toppings as desired. Makes 6, 1-cup servings.

Per cup: calories 180, fat 2 g, sat fat 0, trans fat 0g, Chol 0mg, sodium 85 mg, Carb 38g, fiber 4g, sugars 11g, protein 4g.
The first try, I included chia seeds and bran-I think these are not ideal for the slow cooker, as they gel too quickly.

All cooked up, remember not to over stir.

Ready for the week! ...sort of




Try it with almond butter and a maple syrup drizzle


Or fresh berries and chopped walnuts








No comments:

Post a Comment