Saturday, July 27, 2013

Cinnamon Swirl Protein Coffee Cake

 
 
Another recipe inspired by the super fit Jamie Eason. This time I kicked it up by doubling the protein and turning it into a coffee cake (simply by baking it in a cake pan). I used a bit less almond milk as well. Feel free to  top this cake with chopped nuts before baking. If you are not into non nutritive sweeteners, just use sugar or sucanat. I am ok with them, especially when trying got cut calories.

I made this cake early in the week, and it has been a lifesaver in the mornings. Early mornings are tough because Wyatt is super cranky, and so is mommy because she is super hungry from being up too long. I packed these up in individual baggies and they were ready to eat as soon as I could get down to the fridge (yes, keep them in the fridge since they have no preservatives, unless you like mold).

 If you want  even lower calories, use Splenda. Truvia has some carbohydrates in it. Also, choose a protein powder with no added sugar. My protein powder is higher in calories than I would like, but it is what I have on hand for now.

Cinnamon Swirl Protein Coffee Cake


1/3 cup xylitol or Truvia® (or sugar)
1 Tbsp. cinnamon

Dry ingredients:
1 cup oat flour
1 cup vanilla whey protein powder ( I used muscle milk)
½ cup Truvia®
1 Tbsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt

Wet ingredients:
2 egg whites
¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
½ cup unsweetened applesauce

Preheat oven to 350F. In a small bowl, combine xylitol and cinnamon; set aside. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients and mix well. In a smaller bowl, whisk together wet ingredients. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well.

Line an 8x8 or round 10-inch cake pan with foil and coat with cooking spray. Pour about 1/3 of batter into pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle about ½ of the cinnamon mixture over batter and top evenly with remaining mixture. Use a knife to swirl in cinnamon mixture. Bake for about 33-35 minutes, until center is set.

Lift out of pan to cool on wire rack. Cut into 10 wedges.

125 calories and 13 grams protein
Make your own oat flour

Grind away
Swirl away
Let the foil paper be your friend: use it to lift the cake out of the pan.
 
That is a fresh stevia sprig my garden
DELISH!!

1 comment:

  1. Perfect timing, I'm writing a blog post about high-protien breakfasts. I'll have to pin this pronto!

    ReplyDelete