Sunday, June 23, 2013

Carrot Date and Millet Protein Bars

Yesterday I realized that I had tons of baby carrots that needed to be eaten; I also realized that eating them plain, would make for a difficult task (even with all the blue cheese dressing in the world). Of course, today I opted to do some baking. I also had some super old, dry dates that needed to be used. They almost got thrown out at our work test kitchen, but I bravely rescued them from date suicide!!!

And why not throw some millet in it too; I have tons, and a nice dietitian from Columbus Ohio has been asking me for some recipes. Try this out Gina!

If you are looking for a gluten free version, try omitting the flour and using some gluten free all purpose baking flour, such as Bob's Red Mill.

This recipe makes 21 small bars, but you can cut them into larger portions (or even smaller). I plan on leaving some out for the week, sharing some and of course freezing some for when baby Wyatt comes to visit (an extended stay)! I know things will be crazy then (is what I hear).

By the way, these are approved by Mr. Little himself! ( mostly because he cant see the carrots or the dates lol).

Carrot Date and Millet Bars

1 ½ cups pitted dates
 2 ½ cups grated/shredded carrots
 2 eggs plus 1 egg white
2 tsp. vanilla extract
 1/3 cup agave nectar
¼ cup olive or canola oil
1 ¼ cups vanilla whey protein powder
1 ¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour
½ cup uncooked millet
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. salt

Place dates in a medium bowl and add about 2 cups hot water. Soak for about 10-15 minutes, as needed until tender, depending on how old they are (mine are OLD!); drain.
Preheat oven to 350˚F. Place carrots and dates in food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
Add eggs, vanilla, agave and oil.
 Process until smooth.
In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Stir in carrot mixture and mix until combined. Lightly coat a 9x13-inch pan with cooking spray. Line pan with parchment, wax or foil for easy clean up ( trust me), leaving a few inches of overhang for easy removal. Spread batter evenly on pan and bake for 35 minutes, until center is set.
Cool slightly in pan. Lift bars, holding  wax or foil paper, and transfer to wire rack. Cool complete before cutting (at least, if you want them to look pretty).




 160 Calories and 8 grams protein



1 comment:

  1. Oh I want I want I want!!!! As in, this NEEDS to be an RD Pick recipe :) They look fabulous. And seriously 5 grams of protein? I need to make these.

    ReplyDelete