Sunday, August 5, 2012

Baguettes Galore

Ok, so I haven't been on track lately and I may not be able to fit into any of my dresses for the wedding in Vegas this weekend. Maybe it's because of my job description, or maybe it is because of the endless social events focused on tasty food and adult beverages. It could also be due to lack of consistent physical activity, after all I should be working out for 1.5 hours on most days of the week according to the American College of Sports Medicine. I suppose what it comes down to is comfort zone! I need to get out of my comfort zone and get back on track! 

Baguette: a long, thin French style bread typically made with little fat (but usually made from enriched wheat flour blah!). Easy to overeat, especially when paired with tasty accompaniments such as below.

Although baguettes are not as nutrient dense as an RD would like, they can be eaten as part of a balanced diet that includes fruits,vegetables, lean meats & legumes, and calcium rich dairy or milk alternatives .

My challenge was to come up with as many ways to prepare baguettes. The varieties I had to work with include: sesame semolina, ciabatta multigrain, Kalamata olive and traditional. For my Sous Chef Julia (also an RD!) and I, the past two weeks have been packed with fun filled recipe development and testing using baguettes.

Just how many ways can one use a baguette? Check it out:

Baked French Toast Style Breakfast Pudding


Fresh Tomato Bruschetta with Kalamata Olive Crostini

Roast Beef Baguette with Horseradish Dijon Aioli
Hummus Tomato Avocado Toasts
Prosciutto Arugula Sandwich with Kalamata Olive Spread

Panzanella
Baguette Pizza Bites
Wild Mushroom and Sun dried Tomato Toasts
Zesty White Bean Dip with Toasted Baguette
BLT Baguette
Grilled Veggie and Smoked Mozzarella Baguette
Baked Artichoke and Jarlsberg Baguette
The expert taste test panelists

And that was Baguettes galore... Only one of the reasons as to why my dresses don't fit! This week, I am getting out of my comfort zone!


No comments:

Post a Comment