Sunday, March 17, 2013

Tuscan Kale Salad with Cherries, Feta and Pine Nuts

 
Last week my colleague and I visited the Market District central kitchen in the South Hills to have a better understanding of their processes. We had the chance to sample some tasty foods, including a delicious kale salad with ricotta salata cheese.  I have thinking about this salad since then, craving the crisp and delicate kale combined with the salty briny cheese and sweet fruit…yum!!
Here is my version; I added a little red onion, used feta cheese and whipped up vinaigrette with honey that I think matches the one used at the stores pretty nicely. To note, I do have the recipe stashed away at my desk at work, since I am running nutrition facts on it. I thought it would be way more fun to create my own version!
What’s so special about Tuscan Kale you ask? Tuscan kale is also known as dinosaur kale or palm tree kale, and it tastes better and is more resilient than its regular counterpart. It is amazingly nutritious, as it is packed with vitamin C and K. Since it is part of the cabbage family, some studies have linked its sulfur compounds to a decreased risk of cancer.
 Tuscan Kale Salad with Cherries, Feta and Pine Nuts
1 bunch Tuscan kale (about 12 cups chopped)
1 cup tart dried cherries
1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
4 oz. crumbled feta cheese
1/3 cup finely diced red onion, optional

For the dressing
3 Tbsp. honey
2 Tbsp. seasoned rice wine vinegar
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
3 Tbsp. olive oil
 
Clean kale by submerging in a large bowl of cool water; lift up and out of water, leaving behind any dirt. Place in colander and pat dry with a clean towel.

Gently bend each kale leaf in half and remove center rib with fingers; tear off gently.
 
 
Soak cherries, if desired, in 2 cups of hot water for about 10 minutes to soften.
Combine together ingredients for dressing in medium bowl, whisking in oil as the last step.
Toss ingredients together in a large bowl and chill until ready to serve.
 
Chris and I shared this for a nice light dinner! And you know what, he loved it!!!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment